The Database Architect is responsible for designing, developing and maintaining databases and database applications to manage data.
SPECIFIC RESPONSIBILITIES AND DUTIES:
- Translate business requirements into technical specifications, including data streams, integrations, transformations, databases and data warehouses
- Define the data architecture framework, standards and principles, including modeling, metadata, security, reference data such as product codes and client categories, and master data such as clients, vendors, materials, and employees
- Define data flows, i.e., which parts of the organization generate data, which require data to function, how data flows are managed, and how data changes in transition
- Collaborate and coordinate with multiple departments, stakeholders, partners, and external vendors
- Determines database structural requirements by analyzing client operations, applications, and programming; reviewing objectives with clients; evaluating current systems;
- Develops database solutions by designing proposed systems; defining database physical structure and functional capabilities, security, back-up, and recovery specifications.
- Installs database systems by developing flowcharts; applying optimum access techniques; coordinating installation actions; documents actions.
- Maintains database performance by identifying and resolving production and application development problems; calculating optimum values for parameters; evaluating, integrating, and installing new releases; completing maintenance; answering user questions.
- Prepares users by conducting training.
- Provides database support by coding utilities, responding to user questions, and resolving problems.
- Updates job knowledge by participating in educational opportunities; reading professional publications; maintaining personal networks; participating in professional organizations.
- Accomplishes information systems and organization mission by completing related results as needed.
QUALIFICATIONS AND REQUIRED SKILLS:
- Education - Must have a BA/BSc in computer science, information technology, or engineering
- Technical Skills & Experience - Must have 2+ years of experience and knowledge of the following:
- SQL server (data modelling, architecture, security, backup/recovery, replication, Compute and storage management)
- Snowflake (security, recovery methods)
- NoSql, semi structured data
- Languages - SQL, C# with Python being an asset
- Microsoft Azure concepts, Alteryx
- General understanding of spatial concepts and Canadian/American census and postal geography.
- Analytical Skills – Effectively researches and synthesizes complex or diverse information; uses intuition and experience to complement data and designs work flows and procedures.
- Judgment - Displays willingness to make timely decisions, including appropriate people in the decision-making process and exhibits sound and accurate judgment; supports and explains reasoning for decisions.
- Planning/Organizing - Prioritizes and plans work activities effectively.
- Teamwork - Balances team and individual responsibilities; Exhibits objectivity and openness to others' views, giving and welcoming feedback. Puts success of team above own interests and demonstrates ability to build morale and group commitments to goals and objectives. Supports everyone's efforts to succeed.
- Innovation - Displays original thinking and creativity and meets challenges with resourcefulness. Generates suggestions for improving work. Presents ideas and information in a manner that gets others' agreement.
- Skills Development – Demonstrates willingness and ability to continuously acquire new technical skills and adapt to emerging technologies and practices.
- Communication Skills – Able to clearly communicate ideas and expectations. Effectively listens for understanding and asks questions for clarification. Presents ideas effectively in both verbal and written form.
- Interpersonal Skills – Approachable and easy to talk to. Relates well to all kinds of people in the organization. Able to effectively build rapport with others. Uses diplomacy and tact. Maintains composure and shows an ability to resolve conflicts and gain agreement.
Due to the COVID19 pandemic, our office is currently working fully remote. As the situation improves and it is deemed safe to return to work, we will be expecting employees to be able to commute to our office located in Toronto at 33 Bloor Street East.
About Environics Analytics
Environics Analytics (EA) is a marketing services company that specializes in geodemographic-based segmentation, site evaluation modelling and custom analytics.
Environics Analytics is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees. If you require any accommodation to participate in the hiring process please note the request in your application. We welcome people of all abilities.