Working within the Project Management Office, the Project Manager is accountable for the successful initiation, planning, design, execution, monitoring, controlling and closure of a projects within the Enterprise program. Enterprise represents selected corporate projects that can include systems and structure procurement, implementation, integration, migration and centralization.
The Project Manager will provide direct support to all projects to ensure that all deliver the desirable outcomes to the IT department, which is a primary stakeholder to the Enterprise Program. The project manager coordinates activities between multiple projects to ensure they align with the organization’s priorities and goals. They provide input into best practices and support continuous improvement owned by the Project Management Office.
The project manager will have excellent interpersonal skills and a strong grasp on project management bodies of knowledge and how to apply them to daily project work. They will also be able to develop efficient strategies and tactics to drive projects to completion.
The successful candidate will be flexible, determining when a traditional PM approach is best and when an agile or more customized approach would be most effective.
Specific Responsibilities and Duties:
- Creates and maintains full documentation of the project life cycle: how a project is defined, planned, executed, controlled, and closed successfully in its environment
- Ensures the mechanisms of change management are in place and effectively executed
- Negotiates project schedules and resources between multiple teams and projects
- Provides guidance on prioritization of projects and/or tasks
- Ability to set and operate against the chosen project management methodology
- Guides stakeholders through the project management process
- Communicates all key project plans, commitments, and changes including requirements, schedules, and scope changes to key stakeholders
- Participates in the assessment of vendors and procurement of goods and services
- Determines when it is necessary to hold status meetings and effectively chairs these meetings
- Oversees and informs the change management process and communicate change to identified relevant stakeholders
- Manage risks, triage and escalate issues as necessary
- Represents any PMO-mandated activity through to relevant stakeholder teams
- Ensures alignment with applicable compliancy requirements
Qualifications & Required Skills:
- Education - Bachelor’s Degree in Information Technology, Business or related field
- Experience – 3-5 years of previous experience in project management, preferably in an IT domain
- Demonstrated ability to manage large projects involving cross-functional groups
- Strong analytical and problem resolution skills used to assess and mitigate risk
- Strong technical aptitude, proven ability to quickly learn new systems and act as a champion for others to do same.
- Working knowledge of agile principles
- Strong knowledge of Microsoft applications
- Experience using task management tools such as JIRA, Azure DevOps and/or Microsoft Project
- Planning/ Organizing - Prioritizes and plans work activities effectively. Ability to multi-task. Organizes or schedules other people.
- Communication Skills – Able to clearly communicate ideas and expectations. Effectively listens for understanding and asks questions for clarification. Presents ideas effectively in both verbal and written form.
- Motivation - Sets and achieves challenging goals demonstrating persistence in overcoming obstacles. Takes calculated risks to accomplish goals.
- Interpersonal Skills – Approachable and easy to talk to. Relates well to all kinds of people in the organization. Able to effectively build rapport with others. Uses diplomacy and tact. Maintains composure and shows an ability to resolve conflicts and gain agreement.
- Innovation - Displays original thinking and creativity and meets challenges with resourcefulness. Generates suggestions for improving work. Presents ideas and information in a manner that gets others' agreement.
- Change Management - Develops workable implementation plans and communicate changes effectively building commitment and overcoming resistance.
- Analytical Skills – Effectively researches and synthesizes complex or diverse information; uses intuition and experience to complement data and designs work flows and procedures.
- Employs a curious nature and asks questions
- Judgment - Displays willingness to make timely decisions, including appropriate people in the decision-making process and exhibits sound and accurate judgment; supports and explains reasoning for decisions