Reporting to the Director, Financial Data, the Senior Economist is responsible for assisting in the development and enhancement of most of Environics Analytics' (EA) core financial data products including LiquidAssets, WealthScapes, HouseholdSpend, and more. The Senior Economist is involved in a variety of projects including research and development as well as analytic research projects on behalf of clients.
SPECIFIC RESPONSIBILITIES, DUTIES AND SKILLS:
To effectively fulfill the responsibilities of this position, the employee must be able to do the following:
- Have a well-rounded understanding of the Canadian economy with a keen interest in Canadian and U.S. macroeconomic developments.
- Analyze housing, wealth, labour and income market trends, a variety of economic and financial datasets, and industry reports to help in the design and development of macroeconomic control totals.
- Knowledge in financial market, monetary policy, and fiscal policy is a plus.
- Knowledge of the system of national accounts is desirable.
- Ability to work closely with other members of the team to contribute to the department’s modeling and development of economic scenarios and forecasts.
- Strong quantitative and analytical skills with experience in applied econometrics.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills with the ability to clearly explain results and their implications to non-technical audiences.
- Ability to work both collaboratively and independently on a variety of tasks, and able to prioritize workloads to meet deadlines.
- An interest in conceptualizing data in new and creative ways.
- Develop graphs, time series analyses and other visualizations to support research insights and assist in webinars.
- Product quality control against internal and external datasets or other publicly available information.
- Utilize project management skills to ensure complete, accurate, and on-time delivery of results.
- Interface with other client services, customer research, and sales staff to meet client requirements.
- Other duties as required.
- Education – Master of Economics Degree or related field with a fundamental understanding in macroeconomics.
- Experience – Must have 2 or more years of experience with a multidisciplinary background in quantitative economics. Experience with demography, geography, and/or sociology is considered an asset. Experience with applied microeconomic and econometric models is a definite advantage as well as experience with practical estimation and projection methods and technology.
- Knowledge of and a passion for key macroeconomic trends and policy issues as well as the ability to conduct economic analyses related to these factors as required.
- Experience working with public data sources and analyzing economic indicators.
- Technical skills - Should include:
- Experience with manipulating data in and retrieving data from large relational databases, especially in an analytical setting.
- Ability to work with large datasets (up to millions of rows and dozens of tables) and experience synthesizing data into clear insights.
- Understanding of econometrics, multivariate statistics, and economic theory.
- Proficiency in SQL and exposure to statistical packages in languages such as R, MATLAB, or Python. Experience with Alteryx is a plus.
- Experience working with Statistics Canada data is an asset.
- Proven technical skills or work experience in macroeconomics and forecasting.
- Analytical Skills – Effectively researches and synthesizes complex or diverse information; uses intuition and experience to complement data and designs workflows and procedures.
- Judgment - Displays willingness to make timely decisions, including appropriate people in the decision-making process and exhibits sound and accurate judgment; supports and explains reasoning for decisions.
- Planning/Organizing - Prioritizes and plans work activities effectively.
- Teamwork - Balances team and individual responsibilities; Exhibits objectivity and openness to others' views, giving and welcoming feedback. Puts success of team above own interests and demonstrates ability to build morale and group commitments to goals and objectives. Supports everyone's efforts to succeed.
- Innovation - Displays original thinking and creativity and meets challenges with resourcefulness. Generates suggestions for improving work. Presents ideas and information in a manner that gets others' agreement.
- Communication Skills – Able to clearly communicate ideas and expectations. Effectively listens for understanding and asks questions for clarification. Presents ideas effectively in both verbal and written form.
- Interpersonal Skills – Approachable and easy to talk to. Relates well to all kinds of people in the organization. Able to effectively build rapport with others. Uses diplomacy and tact. Maintains composure and shows an ability to resolve conflicts and gain agreement.
ABOUT ENVIRONICS ANALYTICS:
- Environics Analytics (EA) is a marketing services company that specializes in geodemographic-based segmentation, site evaluation modelling and custom analytics.
- EA is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees. If you require any accommodation to participate in the hiring process, please note the request in your application. We welcome people of all abilities.
- At EA, you will solve meaningful and challenging tasks with a friendly team of the most brilliant minds. We hire personality, not just a pair of hands. Here you're free to express your unique qualities, explore different domains and technologies that interest you.
- We are working with a hybrid model where we spend two days a week working in our offices in Toronto and the rest of the week working from home.